The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

AI Chess Cup 2023

Have you ever played chess online before? Recently, as part of the Champions Chess Tour, there was an online chess tournament known as the AI Chess Cup Championship. Each day of the 2023 AI Chess Cup Championship had some exciting matches. Magnus Carlsen came in as a crowd favorite for being the top player, won two games, and had a draw against his rival Hikaru Nakamura on the first day. With a similar score, Ian Nepomniachtchi beat Anish Giri. In other games that day, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave defeated Alireza Firouzja, and Shakhriyar Mamedyarov won against Denis Lazavik. Both Magnus and Maxime advanced further on day two, setting them up to battle each other on day three. Magnus won 1–0 against Maxime; it was a great day of chess for him. On day four, Magnus did not play in the tournament. Maxime went against Ian and won 2–0, which allowed him to stay out of the loser bracket. Anish went against Ian as well and lost 1.5–0.5. On the final day of the tournament, Magnus played against Maxime again. Magnus resigned in the first game, which was not a good sign; however, they ended up drawing the next three games. This let Maxime take the win and crush Magnus, securing his qualification for the Toronto Champion Chess Tour finals.