The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

What Makes a Good New Years Resolution?

Now that we are almost a month into 2024, how are your resolutions holding up? If you have been sticking to them, great! If not, that is perfectly acceptable as well. The good thing about life is that you can start implementing positive changes to your lifestyle at any moment in time, not just January 1st, and if you have found yourself letting go of your 2024 goals, I am here to help.
My first tip is to slow down! You do not need to take on so many resolutions each year. If you can come up with 1 to 2 things that you can consistently work towards, you will feel much more successful than if you were to pick 10 small goals that you never end up achieving. Another tip that goes hand-in-hand with this is to make sure your goals are specific. One acronym that comes to mind is SMART: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. For example, instead of saying “I want to work out more,” you could say something like “I want to work out 30 minutes a day for 4 days a week.” As you put in work bit by bit, you are achieving small goals along the way which helps you stay motivated.
My last tip, and possibly the hardest part to put into action, is to not be so hard on yourself. If you don’t meet your goal one week, you are not a failure. Just try your best to pick it up again the next week! Over time, your goals will become habit, and you will find it easier than ever to live a life that you are happy with. But you have to be willing to put in the work in the beginning. I believe in you.