The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

Survey Results Pose Questions

The Youth Risk Behavior Survey is a biannual survey of students in 6th, 8th, and 9th through 12th grade. The survey is conducted by Emerson Hospital of Concord and is proctored to all schools in the hospital’s service area. For Maynard High School, who has been a participant in the survey since 2002, about 89% of the student body responded to the survey. The goal of the survey is to understand risks and threats to youth of the area, as well as to understand what factors may be affecting students of different towns, and demographics (such as race, age, and gender). The survey focuses on asking questions related to a range of topics, including but not limited to stress, body image, bullying. substance use, and more. For the 2022 school year, Emerson collected data from around 7,000 students in the local area. Around 5,000 of those students were high-schoolers. 

The survey revealed a lot about students’ lifestyles and feelings about their school environment. We all know the classic high school image portrayed constantly throughout the media that insinuates that students are constantly being bullied or teased by upperclassmen. While students who did report that they had been bullied within the past 12 months were primarily underclassmen, the overall rate of bullying was fairly low- only around 12% of the student population. Specifically in the Maynard school system, not that much bullying was reported. 

Other topics of the survey had much more stark results. Just about a third (30%) of 10th graders reported experiencing some form of sexual harassment within the past 12 months. Statistically, those students who has been harassed became more likely to use harmful coping methods such as bullying others, self-harming, and continuing to have sexual intercourse.  Other issues facing students were on the rise as well. 21% (about ⅕ ) of Maynard High students reported someone they know telling them about a plan to harm themselves or commit suicide. Around 15% of each grade in the high school reported having seriously considered attempting suicidal in the past year. 

While this survey is only a statistical glance trying to understand the life of students- it can provide some insight into common struggles we may share. There is never a wrong time to ask for help, and as a student body, it is vital to our success that we reach out to each other. Don’t be afraid to take care of yourself- you are the most important person you will ever know. 

Reach out to loved ones and trusted adults if you are struggling or call the Suicide and Crisis lifeline at 988 anytime day or night for one on one support. 

The source for this article – the Youth Risk Behavior Survey- is available for download at
https://maynardhighnewspaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Maynard-2022-YRBS-Report.pptx.pdf