The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

The Benefits of Skipping School

The Benefits of Skipping School

Skipping school, cutting class; few infractions carry such a stigma in high schools hallowed halls. However, missing school, if done responsibly, can have numerous benefits to both a students well being and more broadly to their overall education. 

A survey administered by Emerson Hospital indicates that 71% of MHS students experience high levels of stress as a result of schoolwork. Evidence shows that constant stress can lead to depression and other negative health consequences. Taking time off from the stresses of school frees students from a weight, and even if it’s for a day it can have a positive impact; especially if the student spends that time doing activities that are good for their mental health. Taking a day off isn’t about avoiding school, it’s about giving a student the refresh needed to go head on when they are back.  Students at MHS can have up to seven unexcused absences a term with no direct consequences or punishment and it makes sense that if circumstances call for it a student should take a day off.

Obviously many mental health problems can’t be solved in just a day and if a student experiences persistent mental health struggles they should talk to their counselor, parent, or another trusted adult. MHS has six mental health professionals in the counseling department, who are qualified to offer both short term and long term care. In the words of Ms Fernald, one of the school counselors “mental health is just as important and treatable as physical health”.