The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

Adrianne Lenker Promises a Bright Future

The beloved frontwoman of indie folk-rock band Big Thief, Adrianne Lenker, is back this spring with new solo work. The album is called Bright Future and will be released on March 22nd. The title says it all–Lenker is trying to see the good in her future. On “Sadness as a Gift,” one of three singles released so far, she laments the loss of a lover but reminisces on the happy times: “You showed me a place I’ll find, even when I’m old.” The most recent single, “Fool,” also combines the bitter with the sweet. She writes about the changes happening around her and her uncertainty about her current situation, but she appreciates the constants in her life: “I’ll love you till I die.”
Lenker’s past three solo albums have consisted only of vocals and her impressive fingerstyle guitar. On the new record, however–at least so far–vibrant strings ring out as well as piano and vocal harmonies. None of the singles feature percussion, but it seems likely that some of the album tracks will. This would be a first for her solo work. Despite these new additions to her sound, it remains recognizable. “Fool” could have been plucked right from Big Thief’s most recent album, Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You. Lenker has proven that she improves with every new project, and these new singles alone show that history is yet again going to repeat itself. Bright Future is sure to give listeners just that.