The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

Everything You Need to Know About Finding a Job In High School

Having a job in High School has innumerable benefits. The money is the most obvious, but getting a job in high school can also give you valuable experience that can aid you in making a complete college application or applying to more selective jobs. A job can also help you network with people in an industry you are interested in. Having a job can also be a great way to meet people outside of your regular social circle. The following guide was created as a general guide to finding and applying to a job.

1. Search for Jobs You Are Eligible For

There are a wide variety of jobs that will hire high schoolers. If you have no previous experience your best bet are jobs in the service industry. If you return to the main job board page you can see a list of employers that are known to hire high schoolers in Maynard, click on the employer to see more information. If you are unsure of whether a company you are interested in is hiring consider calling them or showing up to inquire in person, doing so shows the prospective employer that you have good personal initiative.

2. Submit an Application

Different jobs require different things for an application. While some jobs require a print application, more and more require an online one. If you do not already have one, set up a personal email for your application. All applications are different but generally they will ask several questions about your availability, skills, and past employment. Some will also ask for a resume, if you don’t know how to write a resume check out our relevant article. When filling out an application its good to show confidence and paint yourself as a strong candidate, but don’t lie or otherwise deceive your employer to the true extent of your skills.

3. Follow Up On Your Applications

If you don’t get any responses don’t fear! A few weeks after submitting send an email or show up in person to follow up on your applications. This demonstrates enthusiasm for the job and can help speed up the application process.

4. Prepare for an Interview

Some jobs will not require an interview. However if they do, don’t stress. You don’t need to dress in fancy clothes, wear something clean and professional that you feel comfortable in. Beforehand, read some sample interview questions. At the actual interview, show up on time and act natural. An interview is almost like the employers preview of you, the person they are going to hire. Stay positive, even if the interview didn’t go well you might still get the job.

5. Get a Work Permit

Once you’ve been hired congratulations! However there is still one more step to complete before you can start your job. In Massachusetts in order to hold a job under the age of eighteen you need to complete a work permit. Generally the application will be provided to you by your employer but sometimes you will need to print it out and bring it to them. The application form needs to be signed by your employer, your parents, and you the worker. After the form is filled out bring it to your schools front office in addition to proof of age, proof of age can be a birth certificate, passport, or drivers license; essentially any government document that has your date of birth on it. The front office will process the application and give you a work permit which you need to bring to your employer. Once you do that you are free to start working!