The Tiger Times

The Student News Site of Maynard High School

The Tiger Times

The Tiger Times

No one eats alone
No one eats alone
March 6, 2024

Green Meadow Vote Divides Town

In recent months the town of Maynard has been divided over the topic of the project to replace Green Meadow School. Proponents of the plan point to several issues in the 68 year old school. For instance, just a handful of years ago in 2019 asbestos and mold discoveries caused the entire preschool wing of Green Meadow to be closed down. Asbestos is a dangerous material that can cause lung cancer, mesothelioma, and other lung diseases. Additionally Green Meadow—which was built in 1955—is not large enough for the increased demands of modern learning, which has led several offices to be moved into former storage areas. The plan for a new building includes more space, as well as an improved heating and AC system and Green technologies like solar panels that will make Green Meadow a sustainable building.

However these new facilities are not without cost. The new elementary school is projected to cost $83.6 million dollars, and while around 30 million of that will be covered by a grant from the State of Massachusetts the remaining 54 million dollar debt will be taken on by the town. This will correspond to an estimated tax increase of about $500-1000 yearly for the average Maynard homeowner. Many Maynard residents have taken to Facebook to complain about these costs, especially considering that the Town just finished the costly replacement of  the Fire Station.   

The town of Maynard is holding a special town election on November 7th, 2023 at Fowler. The sole question on the ballot is whether to fund the Elementary School Project. Any town resident eighteen years of age or older who is registered can go to vote anytime between 7am and 8pm.